The quilt: one of the biggest investments you will make for you and your bed and often one of the hardest to get right! Whether you're a hot or cold sleeper, prefer lightness over weight or natural materials over synthetic…. there is a quilt for you.
Feather and Down Quilts
Down is the soft and fluffy clusters which grow under the outer layer of Geese and Ducks to protect them from the cold. Down is a lighter and has better insulation capabilities than normal feather. The more down content the better the quilt will be for warmth and quality.
Advantages of Feather and Down Quilts
- Warmth without weight
- Fluff ability - better insulation
- Drapability and softness
- Durability and lasts a lifetime
- Ability to breath - Wake up refr eshed
- Washable and dry cleanable
There are many different blends of feather and down, however to simplify into three main categories. The three main combinations are; 50/50 duck (down/feather) warm, 80/20 duck (down/feather) warmer and 80/20 goose (down/feather) warmest.
Goose feather and down is often considered a better quality than duck feather and down; this is because the goose being a bigger bird and provides larger stronger clusters of down, which will provide more warmth for less fill therefore making your quilt super warm with a luxurious light loft.
When selecting your quilt please consider:
- That the weight is up to a comparable standard to other quilts. Ensure the product has not been made to a price point and the manufacturer is skimping on the fill quality or quantity
- The quilt is constructed correctly. A cassette or boxed construction ensures the fill remains in place eliminating any cold spots.
- The cover is a high thread count japara eliminating the migration of down or feather quills needling through the cover slowly empting itself on the bedroom floor.
Always follow the care instructions.
Feather and down quilts should be aired every couple of weeks to keep the quilts shape and ensure longevity.
Cotton is a natural material known for its quality, comfort and softness. Cotton is considered much cooler than other quilt materials; it is thinner, lighter and breathes more than synthetic materials. Although cotton quilts come in different weights they are considered a cooler product and are normally manufactured as a summer weight or for individuals who prefer light-warmth quilts.
Benefits of Cotton Quilts
- Natural fibre
- Machine washable
- Non-allergenic-so ideal for people with allergies
- Draws away moisture from perspiration for a more comfortable night sleep
Care for Cotton Quilts
Always follow your care instructions. Most cotton quilts are machine washable or hand washable depending on the brand (see the product care label)
Wool fibres absorb body moisture and eliminate the humidity away from the body so you don't feel hot and clammy during the warmer months. The fibre also traps and retains air keeping you warmer in winter.
Advantages of wool Quilts
- Wool is a natural insulator
- Use all year round
- Summer - absorbs your body moisture so you don't feel hot and clammy
- Gives even heat distribution of warmth
- Wool is environmentally friendly
- Wool is safe - non flammable
- Looks neat and tidy
- Quality Japara cotton cover
- Soiled areas may be sponge cleaned
- Dry cleaning is recommended
Care for Wool Quilts
Always follow your care instructions. Wool quilts will have different care instructions depending on manufacturer. However most are machine washable. Wool should be aired regularly.
Synthetic Polyester Quilts
Hypo-allergenic, easy-clean synthetic quilts are often anti-bacterial and ideal for allergy suffers. Synthetic microfiber quilts can imitate Feather and down products and are light and fluffy, however usually more affordable. Synthetic materials are very warm and retain heat
Care for synthetic Quilts
Always follow your care instructions.
Benefits of Synthetic Quilts
- Low cost option
- Soft, lofty and light providing warmth without weight
- Machine washable and durable
- Non allergenic
- Ideal for children as a light quilt option
View our quilt range here.